Sunday, November 8, 2009

Interested in human rights? Join Red River College's first human rights group

I know, I know, this is supposed to be a blog about celebrities and entertainment news, but why not use it for self-promotion?

As part of our Independent Professional Project (IPP) for the Creative Communications program, my project partner, Erica, and I have created Red River College's first human rights group. We've had two meetings thus far, and the third will take place Monday, November 16 at 4:00 in room P319 at the Princess Street Campus (160 Princess St. in the Exchange District).


We are creating a forum for both RRC students and staff interested in human rights and who wish to share their thoughts on related issues, as well as a place for those who have always wanted to learn about human rights but haven’t yet had the opportunity to do so. The bi-weekly meetings provide a casual learning and networking environment, with occasional guest speakers and a different human rights-related topic at each meeting.


Our next meeting's topic will be Aboriginal Rights and our guest speaker is freelance journalist/writer Shaneen Robinson, proud member of the Cree and Gitxsan Nations. She has worked as a television news reporter for APTN National News and CTV News Winnipeg.


Our guest speaker for the Monday, November 30 meeting will be Dr. Marilou McPhedran. Dr. Marilou is a human rights lawyer and the Dean of Global College at The University of Winnipeg. She has been awarded the Order of Canada for her work with respect for human rights, as well as for her work with the United Nations' human rights division, focusing on women's and children's rights.


If you have any questions about our group, please feel free to contact Erica and I at rrchumanrights@hotmail.com


Hope to see you Monday, November 16 at 4:00 in room P319!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome!

    I will try to be there Monday!!

    Good job guys!

    ReplyDelete