As I write this blog post, a poppy is pinned on the left side of my chest. Why? Because I'm a good Canadian citizen who knows how important it is to recognize and honour our veterans past and present. Remembrance Day is next Friday, November 11. This holiday is meant to allow people the time to reflect on the brave men and women who have served our country in the name of peace and freedom - many of which never returned home alive.
Unfortunately, over the years I've come to realize that not everyone knows how important Remembrance Day really is - many people see it as just another holiday. I, too, can appreciate having a day off from my busy schedule; however, I never forget what the day truly represents - a day where we remember our brave soldiers and peacekeepers.
Some people may be excited for the day off, but at least they know better then to vocalize their excitement out of respect for this day of remembrance. The Roadhouse Nightclub & Bar in Calgary on the other hand, doesn't seem to understand this concept.
The bar purchased and created a radio ad on local station 90.3 Amp Radio. The bar's short-lived radio ad said, "What will you remember on Nov. 11th? That you were at the Roadhouse the night before and didn't have to go to work the next day."
The radio ad has disgusted many people, including our veterans, and for good reason. Apparently the ad is being edited, but it's evident the owners of this club had only their business on their minds, and really no one else.
As I finished writing this blog post, I'm happy to see that the bar posted an apology on their website:
"The Roadhouse would like to take full responsibility and acknowledge that we have made an extremely poor creative choice while promoting Thursday, November 10. Remembrance day is a memorial day that we respect very much, in fact the Roadhouse is a strong supporter of many local community charities, hosts many events that benefit our community, and attend and support events that benefit veterans, soldiers and their families every year, including this year.
The comments that were printed by Roadhouse owner, Chris Dobson, in the Sun article (whose own grandfather served for our country) were not reflective of his position on the matter. As soon as the Roadhouse was made aware of the content of the radio ad, it was pulled off the air immediately.
Remembrance Day is a very important day to all of us and we are grateful for everything soldiers, past and present, have done for our country. We have nothing but the utmost respect for those who choose to serve. We never meant to offend or hurt anybody in any way. Please accept our sincere apology to soldiers, veterans, their families, and anybody who was offended. This is not indicative of who we are as a company and we take this matter very seriously."
Although I do commend the owners for posting this apology, I feel the damage is done, and many veterans and local Calgarians may no longer support this local business.
For commemorative ceremonies in your area, visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website.
- With files from the Winnipeg Sun
No comments:
Post a Comment