Sunday, January 31, 2010

Top Grammy Moments

As usual, the Grammy Awards were way too long; however, this doesn't mean I didn't enjoy most of the show. Read on to see what my favorite moments were, and of course, what my general thoughts are on the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards.

WHOA! Number one fave Grammy moment just appeared on my TV screen: The legendary Stevie Nicks walking on stage to perform with Taylor Swift. Very pleasant surprise!

The wonder woman from Fleetwood Mac sang the hit "Rhiannon" with the luckiest 20-year-old in the world. The set then went on to include Taylor singing her hit, "Belong with Me," with Stevie as her backup vocalist and tambourine player. UGH. So jealous, but Taylor couldn't be more deserving - she's so humble and talented. She's also the big winner of the night, having picked-up the Grammy for Best Album of the Year.


2. So who knew Pink worked part-time with Cirque du Soleil?!

Her performance was absolutely beautiful as she sang and twirled over the crowd at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles. Her body suit was quite the number as well, especially when she became drenched with water all the while continuing her acrobatic number. I'm not sure, though, how some of the celebrities felt when their couture gowns got soaked in water... ah well.



3. Wearing my 3D glasses for the Michael Jackson tribute (yes, I just so happened to have kept them from a 3D movie screening and had them conveniently stored in my desk drawer).

Great idea for prime time; however, it didn't work that well. That's okay though, because the artists who sang the tribute were fabulous (Celine Dion, Usher, Carrie Underwood, Smokey Robinson and Jennifer Hudson).


4. Paris, 11, and Prince Michael, 12, accepting a Lifetime Achievement Award for their father, Michael Jackson.

I commend their appearance as it's not easy to lose a parent, never mind being on television in front of millions of people to speak about that special person. Prince acknowledged his father's humanitarian work and said a big thank you to the pop icon's fans for their support.


5. So the rumours were true: Lady Gaga opened the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards, but with help from none other than Sir Elton John.

The piano duet was better than I had expected, and that smile on Gaga's face was priceless - she sure is on top of the world. She's fearless by being true to herself, and it sure is paying off.



6. Mary J. Blige, Andrea Bocelli and David Foster's performance of Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water," dedicated to the Haitian people.

People from all over the world can download this touching performance at www.iTunes.com/Target, where donations will be made to the American Red Cross's Haiti disaster relief efforts.

7. What a year for Toronto rapper, and former Degrassi: The Next Generation actor, Drake, 23.

Drake has two nominations at this year's Grammy Awards, and he hasn't even released his debut album. Toward the end of the awards show, he shared the stage with heavy-weights Travis Barker, Lil Wayne and Eminem. I liked the performance, and apparently so did Jamie Foxx, who was filming it on his BlackBerry. I was, however, quite annoyed that the sound kept on cutting out for at least one quarter of the performance.

8. Slash's guest appearance on Jamie Foxx's performance of "Blame It."

The hat, the hair, the leather pants, the electric guitar - it couldn't have been hotter. He definitely made that performance...


9. Shocker: Kings of Leon beating out Lady Gaga for Record of the Year.

Don't get me wrong - I pretty much wore out my Kings of Leon CD; but, Gaga's worldwide popularity is undeniable, so I'm definitely surprised by this win.

10. The Grammy's attempts at web 2.0... not impressive, but thanks for trying!

People had the opportunity to vie for a spot on the Black Eyed Peas' Grammy performance by uploading their own rendition of some Black Eyed Peas songs. However, the chosen performances hardly received any attention. They were shown on a couple screens that never received anything more than, at best, a few medium shots. I'm sure many, many people were disappointed.

Also, the Grammy's and CBS collaborated to host "You Pick It, They Play It!" where viewers could go online and choose the song they wanted Bon Jovi to perform as the third in the rock band's Grammy set list. Bon Jovi ended the set with "Livin' on a Prayer" - as chosen by the fans.

To see the full list of this year's Grammy Award winners, click here.

3 comments:

  1. I though the Grammy's were pretty good this year...and the whole time I was watching the Michael Jackson Tribute I was looking for my 3D glasses that i got when i was watched Avatar. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My avatar 3d glasses didn't work.. but based on what all the stars were wearing, i think it only worked with the red & blue glasses

    I totally thought the sound was getting cut off in the trio-rap performance to bleep out the swears that they were saying, haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete