Monday, August 22, 2011

Lollapalooza 2011: A Mecca for Music Lovers

If you love music and if you love Chicago, add the Lollapalooza music festival to your bucket list. The three-day festival takes place in Chicago's Grant Park - a beautiful, massive park in the Loop (i.e. downtown), which takes about 12 minutes to walk from one end to the other (and that's walking fast through 270,000 people).

As someone who had only ever been to Chicago during the spring, I was shocked as to how hot it was during August. Each day the temperature soared well into the 40 degree Celsius territory, with assistance from the intense humidity (Chicago is located on Lake Michigan).

Staying hydrated was necessary as at times I found it difficult to handle the heat. Thankfully, CamelBak filling stations were located throughout the park. Needless to say, I drank more water than ever before and frequented the horrendous Porta-Potties one too many times.

Huge line-ups for the Porta-Potties.

At a cost of only $215.00 for a three-day wristband, I got my money's worth by the end of the first day alone. In total, I saw 11 artists and bands. I had so many more circled on my Lolla schedule; however, it's impossible to see all the acts as there are eight stages set-up throughout the park.

I, and I assume many others, were disappointed when having to choose between such acts as headliners Coldplay and Muse. I chose the former, but would have loved to have seen Muse as well. Other disappointing scheduling conflicts included Ellie Goulding - the English singer-songwriter who I'm completely infatuated with (buy her album, Bright Lights - you'll be mesmerized) - who performed at the same time as The Pretty Reckless (rock group fronted by Taylor Momsen of Gossip Girl fame), which was also during Cee Lo Green's performance. There is such a diverse array of performances at Lollapalooza that it's quite disappointing when one realizes it's impossible to see every single great performance.

To sum up some of my favourite performances at this year's Lollapalooza, I've included videos I shot with my Canon PowerShot SD750. The videos are not the best quality, but listening to the playback of these videos will help me to relive this fabulous weekend whenever I want. I hope you enjoy them too.

1. A Perfect Circle

From a friend's suggestion, I traversed the south end of Grant Park by myself to watch what I would soon come to realize as one of the best musical performances I had ever experienced.

A Perfect Circle is an alt-metal supergroup fronted by the charismatically-creepy Maynard James Keenan of Tool (and I mean that in the best way possible). Watch the video below as I walk up to the band opening their set with their version of John Lennon's "Imagine". I was immediately hooked.



2. Coldplay

I knew I'd enjoy Coldplay - one of the biggest bands in the world - but I didn't realize just how much, that is, until I witnessed lead singer Chris Martin's presence on stage. His ruling of it and of the audience ultimately drew me in and exceeded all of my expectations.

The show opened and closed with fireworks, consisted of pyrotechnics and light shows throughout, as well big balloons that floated above the crowd - all creating the perfect musical experience right smack dab in the centre of Chicago. Could the backdrop be any more perfect?









3. Ellie Goulding

As mentioned earlier, Ellie Goulding is an English singer-songwriter whose electronic dance melodies have propelled her career across the pond here in North America, and which helped her to be chosen to sing at the Royal Wedding reception earlier this spring. Enjoy two of her songs below, and go out and buy her album, Bright Lights!





4. Eminem

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect from Eminem. I never thought I'd see him live, but I sure am happy I had the opportunity. Having most recently released his album, Recovery, Eminem was dead on with his lyrics and happy to interact with the crowd during his 90 minute set.

Special guests included Bruno Mars, Skylar Grey and Royce da 5'9", rounding out a show that included songs spanning his entire career.







5. City and Colour

City and Colour is a band I've really come to like largely in part due to the road trips Dave and I have enjoyed over the last few years. I was obviously quite excited to see them; however, their 3:15 p.m. time slot meant playing in the sweltering heat. I had no choice but to hide in the shade for a bit which therefore meant missing some of their set list.



6. Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley and Nas

What can I say? Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley is the son of the father of reggae, and his reggae-rap has transfixed Dave and I over the past couple of years. When I learned he was touring with rapper Nas, I knew I couldn't miss it.

The first torrential downpour had just occurred, and my girlfriends had decided to return to our hotel room at The Drake (couldn't blame them). I, however, am so thankful I stayed as the rain stopped during the first song, and a beautiful rainbow appeared over Lake Michigan. It was the perfect afternoon for an awesome show.









7. This sub-head should read, "Foo Fighters"...

The greatest (and only) disappointments of the entire trip were the torrential downpours that unleashed themselves onto Grant Park Sunday, August 7 (the final day of the festival). It was ultimately the second downpour that began just as the Foo took the stage, shattering my hopes of seeing a band I've been meaning to see for years. Alas, I couldn't handle another downpour and headed back to our hotel room.

I hope the Foo return to Winnipeg soon as I surely will be front row and centre.

For more information about Lollapalooza, visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment