Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Adventures in Chicagoland

Let it be known, I heart Chicago. Like a lot - a lot, a lot.

Chicago completely exceeded my expectations. I pre-mapped most of the Loop (aka downtown Chicago) the week before I left for the great Mid-Western city, but I really had no idea what I'd feel like actually being there. One word to describe it: stunning. Each step I walked downtown, whether on Michigan Avenue (aka the Magnificent Mile), or on Lake Shore Drive, I couldn't stop myself from taking a photo. Note: all photos in this post are mine, except for the photo of Cloud Gate.



Almost every building was built beautifully and can therefore feed anyone's appetite for architecture as there are so many different styles and designs to see. I've decided to create a list of my top three favourite buildings in downtown Chicago because this blog post would be way too long if I wrote about all of its interesting buildings.

One of my favourite building's is the Tribune Tower (home of the Chicago Tribune) on North Michigan Avenue. Completed in 1925, the neo-gothic building was the outcome of an international design competition held by the above-mentioned newspaper. The prize was $50,000, and was ultimately won by two New York architects. There were over 260 entries, and proved to be great PR for the Chicago Tribune.


The other building is the Willis Tower, which was referred to as the Sears Tower by virtually every Chicagoan I met. The 107-storey skyscraper is located on South Wacker Drive and was completed in 1973, but its name changed last July as London-based insurance broker, Willis Group Holdings Ltd., agreed to lease a portion of the building and therefore obtained its naming rights.

It features three glass Skydeck boxes (or balconies) for tourists and residents alike that opened last July, and surprisingly made this roller-coaster and thrill ride enthusiast very nervous. It really didn't help when an annoying little school kid decided to jump on the glass that juts out of the side of the 103rd storey that I was in the process of standing on. I told him that was my cue to leave, and then proceeded towards the gift shop.


The other building that fascinated me is the Merchandise Mart on Merchandise Plaza. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to go inside the art deco building, but I'll likely return to the city very soon - this time with my boyfriend Dave - and we'll be sure to visit the building that has its own area code (yes, it's that big). With over 4,000 windows, it was completed in 1930 and centralized the city's wholesale goods business by consolidating vendors and trade under one roof.


Another must-see attraction in the Loop is Cloud Gate (or more commonly known as "The Bean"), which is a large stainless steel sculpture that was completed in 2006 and reflects the city's landscape in its giant facade. It's located in the beautiful Millennium Park, which would be a perfect place for an afternoon picnic with your sweetie pie. Corny? Yeah, I'd say so.


To anyone considering visiting Chicago, you must make a trip to 2548 North Halstead in Lincoln Park (a mere $12 taxi ride). Home to Kingston Mines, it's the most genuine and super chill blues club in the city. It was recommended to me by three Winnipeggers, so I expected to have a great time and to hear great music. Make sure to pay it a visit next time you're in the Windy City, and be ready to sit back and listen to some darn good Chicago blues music, which even made this not-so-great-dancer dance all night.


For all the art lovers reading this blog post (because I know you're out there whether you like to admit it or not), the Art Institute of Chicago is fabulous. Like I wrote in an email to Dave and my parents as soon as I had returned to the hotel from the institute, I had fallen in love with another man. His name? Claude Monet. Sigh. Looking back on it, I would have been happy to have just stayed all evening in the two rooms where the impressionist painter's breathtaking paintings are featured.


And now, to save the best for last, my experience at The Oprah Winfrey Show - yup, no big deal. My classmate, Gina, and I scored three tickets to the most epic talk show on TV by writing the Big O a cute pitch letter.

We were treated to a private screening of the film, Eat Pray Love, at the gorgeous and modern Kerasotes Showplace Icon Theatre when we arrived in Chicago last Tuesday night, and then woke up, got dolled-up, and took a taxi to Harpo Studios Wednesday morning, where we would soon see the taping of the Eat Pray Love-themed show with Oprah, Julia Roberts and the book's author, Elizabeth Gilbert.

We first stood in line, actually more like four or five lines and an intense security check (tip: they'll check your hairspray and pen in addition to your camera and cell phone), and then ultimately sat in a very cold holding room for two and a half hours. We got over it though, as it truly was an experience of a lifetime.

Interested in finding out whether or not Oprah is actually who she seems to be on TV? To me, Oprah is sincerely real, professional, and honest. Walking out into the studio, which is a lot smaller than it appears, without her usual four-inch heels on, Oprah spoke to us 365 studio audience members and stood patiently as her four stylists put on her heels, fixed her hair, and touched-up her makeup. Like she told us, "You don't have to do much when you're rich."

Julia was as real as a celebrity can get - very down to earth - and a lot skinnier than I thought she would be. The taping included pre-recorded greetings from the film's men (heartthrobs Javier Bardem and James Franco, as well as the talented Richard Jenkins).

Our taping airs Monday, May 24, and the film hits theatres Friday, August 13. As Oprah says, "It's a great film to go out and see with the girls."

P.S - Did I mention to all the Twilight saga fans who read my blog that when the taxi dropped us off, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning were leaving the studio's private garage in an SUV as they had just filmed a special Oprah and Twilight special (which airs Thursday, May 13)? Yup, Robert was actually two feet away from me; unfortunately, I couldn't catch a glimpse of his face because the SUV's tint was so dark. Booooo.


I'd also like to note how surprisingly friendly and helpful every person we met working in the hospitality industry was to us. I really have nothing bad to say about Chicago. I even enjoyed taking the "L" train and am in fact more scared walking in downtown Winnipeg than riding a subway on a Friday night to the city's south side for a White Sox game.

1 comment: