I recall hearing that Renee and Harry were filming a movie in our city a couple of winters ago, and I had wondered how they were handling our frigid temperatures.
A classmate of mine at The University of Winnipeg had told me that a friend of hers met Renee in a line outside while waiting to get into the Winnipeg Art Gallery. The actress was wearing a warm North Face jacket, and wasn't afraid to strike up a conversation with a local Winnipegger. It seemed as though the Oscar winner was getting along just fine in our cold climate.
I must say that it was interesting to watch parts of my city in a mainstream film. New In Town was filmed in Winnipeg, Selkirk, and Los Angeles. The Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport posed as an airport in Minnesota (where the film is supposed to be set), my hair salon in the Exchange District posed as a small salon, a scene was shot in Portage Place, and I recognized Bishop Grandin during one of the driving scenes.
Not one to consistently watch a DVD's bonus feature, I knew I had to watch "Making New In Town in Winnipeg, Canada". This special feature included comments from the main characters - all of which included how bitterly freezing Winnipeg is, and how it must be the coldest place in the world.
All outdoor scenes were filmed outside, to which temperatures had at times dropped below 40 degrees Celsius. This allowed the actors to genuinely act cold while filming outdoor scenes, as well as a reason to re-shoot a scene as the camera had froze. I smirked hearing that both actors and crew named the frost that accumulates on a person's facial hair as "nostricles", and that Winnipeggers are pretty much insane to want to "ice fish in huts".
However, before I offend anyone, I must add that both actors and crew commenting on the special feature were anything but rude - they spoke very fondly of Winnipeggers and our kindness, and courage!
Below is the film's trailer. Rent the film, or buy it, make some hot chocolate, grab your Snuggie, and enjoy the film. It's a good one for the holiday season.
No comments:
Post a Comment